01 July 2011

School's out for summer

So, a while back when I noted that I was finished with my first year of the PhD, I neglected to mention that I was about to embark on summer school.

I took summer school. Three classes: Latin, German, and American Literary Naturalism. I had a good time with all of them, hardly ever slept, and yesterday, it all ended. We took the opportunity to invoke summer after class by having a picnic in Central Park that lasted 8 hours and included a bottle of scotch.

Nothing compares to a day like this, despite it being New York.
And now I have a week remaining in the city before I head West to live out my summer like a happy, unemployed itinerant. And head West I shall: after I clean my apartment, which has descended into a shamble, and organize my life, and see all the friends and loved ones I have scattered through the boroughs, I will be helping Em in much the same manner she helped me roundabout this time last summer. We're moving her to Oakland.

We won't have a White Whale, but we will have a couple extra days, and we will almost certainly make them count. If there's one thing we do well, it's hit the open road.

For now, I plan on limiting my vagrancy, and getting some shit done. Like, shit I want to do, rather than shit I have to do. This is an entirely new world, friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment